We are convinced
that we have nothing
to learn about
grief,
that we’re human
and so we grieve,
that our instincts
will tell us what is an outrage,
what is a tragedy,
what is too much,
what is too far.
We are human
so we must know
innately
what inhumanity is.
I think we’re wrong.
Maybe we start out that way.
I’m not sure.
But we learn somewhere
along the way
which things we
will cry out against
and which things
will merely merit
shaking our heads over,
What a shame.
Did you hear about
[insert tragedy here]?
We learn these things.
I know
because I’ve
unlearned some of it.
I know because
last night something hit me
in the stomach with the
force of a fall
(like when, as a child,
I tripped in the front yard
and fell on a brick
and couldn’t breathe,
couldn’t even make a sound,
but when the air rushed back
I cried out instinctively,
wailed out loud
before the pain even
registered in my brain).
Last night I grieved for something
I’d never felt in quite that way before.
I’d never felt in quite that way before.
Don't get me wrong.
I'm still pretty trite.
Like when I'm upset
about the news I'm reading,
I go on a jog and
write poetry,
because my default reaction
is to wrap myself up in the mantle
of my very enlightened
reactions to the world,
a sort of self-satisfied melancholy
because at least I have the humanity
to call these things outrageous.
I cry a lot these days, and then I have
the audacity to all but congratulate
myself for feeling sad.
But it isn't all self-centered.
The point of this poem is that
some of it is real, and I'm trying to
find the pieces of it that I want to keep.
I was praying. Or reading a prayer,
but for me they are the same thing.
Someone else's words, but as they emerged
from my lips, as I prayed
for the poor and the persecuted
and the sick, the refugee and the prisoner
and the endangered and the broken,
I wept aloud.
And I asked God for mercy.
Not for the broken, because God is
with the broken, God is always with the broken.
But I asked mercy for we who do the breaking.
And I tried not to feel self-satisfied afterward.

No comments:
Post a Comment