Like laundry, I mean.
It’s been said a lot, that
there’s meaning in small things,
and of course I only
want to say new things
which is at best naïve
and at worst self-important.
But I’ve gotten off track.
Here’s what it feels like:
one moment you’re folding laundry
and it’s part of that endless
list of things to do (they don’t call it
a laundry list for nothing)
and in a split second,
it transmutes—the whole thing, your
hands, your mind, your heart, the
things you’re
touching—
into eternity, or into
meaning, or maybe into happiness
although that’s not quite it.
The point is that there’s a
switch and in an instant making
a pile of shirts
isn’t a task but an act in itself
and you feel that a life is made
of things like this;
but then you rebel because
even saying that sounds lame,
and the feeling itself is
enormous, really.
There’s a peach colored shirt,
loose-fitting and a bit stretched out,
a little pocket on the front left side.
I feel breezy in it, and grown-up
(the oddest thing about that being
that it’s ceased to feel odd).
that it’s ceased to feel odd).
And in the act of setting it on
four other shirts, I was
transported more solidly into
the current moment than I
ever manage on purpose.
The more I talk around the moment
the further it gets from words.
But it was beautiful.
But it was beautiful.

1 comment:
Same, but different.
Loved doing laundry with you last night :-).
Post a Comment