Thursday, July 2, 2015

The Late Night Happy

I'm writing tonight because it's one of the moments I love most. These are the times that I know I will never really be a morning person, even if there comes a time in my life that I'm accustomed to getting up early. Mornings are nice, but there is a part of me that just doesn't get to come out to play until after midnight. I'm listening to folk music, which is incomprehensibly beautiful to me at times like this, times I can really listen and close my eyes and breathe. I've been doing things I love (and things I'm pretty good at) since about 10:00. This is the time of day when my soul is awake, when I can take the things that have happened during the day and lay them out and touch them and think about them. This is the time that my throat catches and my eyes smart when I think of meaningful things. This is when my mind makes connections, when I see whole pictures rather than fragments, when I write almost because I can't help it.

Tonight, I'm thinking about my niece. She is simply miraculous. She is tiny and perfect and she has the brightest little eyes. I can't describe the pride I feel every day as I watch her repeatedly lift her head and stretch her legs; she is brave and plucky and determined. She doesn't smile often, but when she does, she is the most beautiful sight I can imagine. I know the things I'm saying have been said countless times about countless babies, but (uncharacteristically) I couldn't care less about sounding original right now. I am beyond blessed: I get to love this kid so much, and I can't wait until I get to know what she's thinking.
That's all for tonight. If I start writing about the nephew who's coming, I will certainly run out of words

No comments: