Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Time for a bit of a change...

I have a little business to attend to in this post. A friend and very faithful reader of mine left a comment on my Facebook note protesting the name of this blog (Diary of a Flop). I had been toying with the idea of a change but had resisted it for mostly sentimental reasons, which I will describe as briefly as possible. In defense of the name, it was never intended as a self-deprecation. A dear friend from college was once struggling to find the right word to describe his perception of me. After a few moments, he settled on "flop." I flop when I walk. When I'm speaking, I flop my arms around flamboyantly for emphasis. I flop when I hug people, I flop when I sit down, and I flop when I laugh. Granted, this was all a comical, affectionate conversation between friends. However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized I agreed with him. After that conversation, I wrote the following: "I'm an odd, funny person who flops through her life doing the best she can, and sometimes making a clumsy mess of everything. As a writer, I must admit that most of my best work just 'flops out'." I was pleased with the way I'd managed to draw all the disparate elements of my life into a whole, to discern a pattern. Sure, it was a pattern of awkwardness and that odd balance of success and failure that accompanies growing up. It was my life, though, and I liked the feeling of embracing it with a sort of wry, self-aware humor. The title resonated with me then, but time has passed and I do feel I've outgrown it. Of course, I still wouldn't be willing to change the name unless I had a new one that I really felt good about. However, I've been posting my "Small Happenings" Facebook statuses (or statusae, as I like to call them) for quite a while now, and people seem to like them. Honestly, I like them too. They're a way to train myself to see the details in the world around me. Anyway, what is this blog but a sort of expansion of my "Small Happenings" statuses? It fits, I think.

No comments: