Today I was watching a TV show that is undeniably ridiculous in many ways. It's a science fiction show from the late 90s by the name of Farscape. A great deal of what's laughable in it is the use of puppets to represent certain aliens (think early Yoda or Jabba the Hutt), bizarre makeup jobs, dialogue which must have been pretty snazzy sounding at the time but now makes you chuckle, etcetera etcetera...
Nevertheless, I enjoy the show, and today while watching, I came across a really beautiful little piece of acting which I'm certain I'll not be able to describe adequately. I may well make myself blush trying.
But allow me to preface, since it's what I do best. Kisses in movies and TV shows tend to be mostly the same. Or at least, the motivations behind them do. It's extremely unusual to come across a kiss which is not motivated by mutual romantic attraction between two characters. Regardless of the self-awareness of these characters, that desire is almost always there.
Kisses which are otherwise motivated always interest me. The two characters in question, Crichton and Chiana, are not in love. They are not even in that state of being so ubiquitous in the film world, unaware of their true feelings for one another. They met several episodes earlier when Crichton rescued Chiana from some very nasty people who intended to mentally recondition her. Since then, she has been unpredictable, untrustworthy, and self-serving. She is attractive and charismatic, fully aware of the effect her alluring physique and personality have on men. Her skills include talented lying and a knack for ensuring her own survival. She always has perfect command of herself and never needs anyone. Gratitude towards Crichton or anyone else who has helped her has never been a priority.
Now the crew find themselves in a desperate situation, one in which the only solution, it seems, is for Crichton to go on a suicide mission to save Chiana and the rest of his shipmates. He encounters Chiana alone, and when she asks him why he wants to attempt it, he explains, "Scorpius wants me, and if I'm in the transport, it's more likely to draw the command carrier away from the rest of you guys."
She steps closer to him. "What if other people want you too?" Her voice is a little unsteady, although it's clear that she's desperately trying to sound nonchalant, like it's all a big joke. As though "other people" could mean anyone else on the ship.
"Is this some sort of weird alien send-off?" he asks.
She comes even nearer, takes his hands and places them on her waist, looks up at him. "Call it what you like. I know no other way to thank you for what you're doing." Knowing Chiana, I know exactly what she is offering. I also know exactly why. This is not a revelation of her deep romantic love for Crichton. It is a moment of transparency in a character who always has it together. Crichton understands as well.
"Never before the big game," he says, smiling. He sits her down and crouches in front of her, still holding her hands. She is unwilling to look at him, but he waits until she does before he adds, compassionately, "But thanks."
"You saved my life" she protests, in tears now.
"Pass it on," he replies. "When someone else needs it, return the favor."
She leans her forehead against his, then reaches forward to kiss him. He receives the kiss gently, then pulls away. He smiles, touches her head, and leaves.
It's truly wonderful acting when you come away from a scene like that knowing with perfect clarity what each character really meant, even if it's dreadfully difficult to put in words.
1 comment:
Can I simply say that I appreciate the way and the what of your appreciation? I will. I do.
Post a Comment